Portrait FAQ

Everyone has questions and I've tried to answer many of the common ones on this page. However, if you have a specific question about a wedding photoshoot then please visit this page.

Please also feel free to contact me if you have any additional questions. 

What should we wear?

You can wear pretty much what you want but I tend to ask that you avoid loud party shirts, clashing colours and busy patterns and anything that might distract from the actual photo. For family shoots, you don’t need to match but I do ask that your children dress fairly smart.

How do we pick a location for the shoot?

This is normally a favourite spot of yours such as a park, a walk, a square, but if you can’t think of any, I do have a portfolio of locations that are beautiful. With family shoots, I also normally start with some shots at home and then we drive (or walk) to another location.

Do we need to meet before the shoot?

To enable me to perform to the best of my ability, I always ask if we can meet up before the actual photoshoot for a coffee and to chat through everything, assuage any fears and explain what a shoot actually entails. I also draw up a rough photo list of some of the shots that a person may want, if required.

How do we pay you?

For all jobs other than weddings, I normally ask for 75 per cent of the agreed price paid upfront by BAC with the other 25 per cent due when the photos are ready.

How do you supply the photos?

I supply the low-res photos (ideal for social media such as Facebook or Instagram) on www.wetransfer.com which is a easy, low-maintenance cloud-based computer file transfer service. You don’t need to register and you get the photos within a few hours once I have uploaded and sent them. With the high-res photos, I send them in the post via registered mail on a USB stick.

Do we retain copyright of the images?

As photographer, I retain the copyright, but I give you the licence (as stated in a simple client contract) to use the photos as you wish from the USB for personal use including making prints. You may use also them on social media if the images are credited with a simple copyright line. I also ask that I am able to use some on social media and my website but this is wholly dependent on your explicit permission.

How long do you keep our photographs for?

I keep a copy of all the edited photographs from the shoot on an external digital archive system, so if anything happens to your photos whether you have lost them or they have been destroyed, I can supply another copy for you (for a very small fee).